- Melting cheese – cheddar, monterey jack and mozzarella
- Medium ground beef
- Fennel seeds
- There are many different spices out there, each has its own way of extracting the aroma. For fennel, you must toast the seeds on a pan or in an oven to extract the aroma.
- For easier preparation, buy prepackaged grated cheeses instead of grating your own cheese.
- The cheese texture you would want depends on how long you leave your cheese melting in the oven. You will achieve a soft, gooey cheese texture around 1-5 min, perfect if you just like plain melted cheese. If you want to be creative, broil your cheese for 5-10 minutes to achieve a semi-crisp, semi rubbery texture that you could use as a ‘tortilla’ vessel to your toppings. Broiling your cheese for 10-15 minutes will yield you crispy melted cheese, essentially giving you cheese chips!
- Line aluminum foil on a pan and spray non-stick oil. Set your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit on a ‘broil’ setting. Place your cheese on the pan, put in the oven, and watch until golden brown and crisp – this takes approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Heat pan on medium. Add olive oil (sauteing onion and garlic is optional) and ground beef. Season, cook until done, and set aside.
- On the same pan, quickly remove debris and toast fennel seeds on medium heat.
- Assemble. (See picture).